Wednesday, December 3, 2008

More Musings on the South

We just got back from a day of touring Hotlanta and I was somewhat unimpressed at first but it picked up at the end of the day when we found this cool little neighborhood with lots of people with dyed hair (just my type). I'll let OJ give you the details on that, for now some more random musings on the South and our trip.

1) As far as South Carolina goes, besides lynching people I think their favorite thing to do down there is to set off fireworks. There are fireworks stores EVERYWHERE. And you can literally buy mortars and shit in there, guaranteed to blow your fingers off with every attempt. I guess everyone needs a hobby.

2) One of the best things about the South is the names of the towns you pass. OJ mentioned this already. Maybe there are names like this in Upstate NY too, but it seems so much more poignant when you see a place named Goose Creek, South Carolina or Papie Road in Dublin, Georgia. I guess the little things make me smile.

3) I think Savannah was disappointing because I didn't bring my linen suit given it is unsuitable for winter climates. Savannah is the type of town where you just want to sit down with a SoCo on the rocks in a tan linen suit, buckskin white shoes and a fedora hat while saying things like "today is just a fine day, yessum it is." I didn't get to do that, hence we booked out of there early.

4) I feel like a city like Atlanta gets a lot of New Yorkers who claim that their food is superior to the South's. Case in point: I made OJ stop in this "general store" that I read about that sells the best grits in the South supposedly. While I made small talk with the girl at the counter, she mentioned their bagels are really good too. I instantly mentioned that I was from NY so bagels would be a hard sell in Georgia, and she told me that their bagels are made different (with olive oil or something silly like that), and other New Yorkers have liked them in the past. OTHER NEW YORKERS? I thought I was special.

5) I feel self-conscious about ordering stuff without mayo down here. Hopefully I'll stop blushing everytime I do it by the time we reach Memphis.

OJ will update next I think...I'm going to shower to prepare for our night out.

J$

No comments: