Saturday, December 6, 2008

Things I Forgot To Mention

In my tired/drunken stupor last night I forgot to mention some other experiences we had yesterday. Seriously, the combination of lack of sleep, inadequate nutrition and driving 4 hours a day is not conducive to drinking. I got a buzz off of 2 beers last night.

Before we left Jackson, Mississippi I ingested (part of) a FUCKING PIG EAR SANDWICH. Yes, you read that right....THE EAR OF A PIG ENTERED ME! It was at this scary little shop in the now deserted black area in Jackson called the Big Apple Inn. I quickly learned the Big Apple had NOTHING to do with New York, as I've never seen a pig ear sandwich being served at the delis in Bensonhurst. The place wreaked of pig and was eerie to say the least, kind of like the cafeteria of a closed down school where there was a fire and the cafeteria was the only area that survived.

The ear was served on a really small bun, kind of like a White Castle burger. The taste...well...it had the consistency of ham but it was really, um, slimy and gross. I ate about half of it before deciding I was going to vomit if I had anymore. It wasn't so much the taste that put me over the edge, even though that was bad enough, it was looking at the thing and seeing the cartlidge of the ear on the bun. It gave me shivers.

Also, as OJ mentioned, we stopped for pie right outside Memphis. I had the "Slap Yo Mamma" Chocolate Pie. Appearantly down here the phrase "Slap Yo Mamma" is a term of affection. I just think of domestic violence every time I hear it. I guess New York has hardened me.

Ohh, and the most depressing news of the day...Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is NOT native to the South. Who knew?

Nashville is next. I hope the nightlife is better so it cheers OJ up...he was really disappointed in Memphis. I, on the other hand, have come to accept that the South is better at lynching than partying :-)

J$

No comments: